*Article created by TT, needs input for any changes but none looks to be needed*
The score you receive in the Education and Empathy section is based on the timing of your therapeutic statements during critical moments in the patient interview.
When asking interview questions to collect subjective data, there will be scored opportunities to provide either an educational or empathic statement in response to the patient. To get credit for acknowledging the patient with therapeutic communication, you must respond within two lines of dialogue.
For example, if you ask the patient if they're experiencing any pain and they say "Yes", then that would be an ideal moment to respond with an empathetic statement.
Once you've completed the assignment and can see your results, you can click on the Education & Empathy tab to see the available points. Clicking on each of the Education & Empathy topics will show you more information and the part of your transcript
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Is the Education and Empathy section scored in every patient case assignment?
- In the pre-brief before entering the patient room, Preceptor Diana will inform you how you will be evaluated during the simulation. Note that some assignments will not require you to provide education and empathy for a score, but it is encouraged.
- How do you make up points in the Education and Empathy section upon reopening the assignment?
- If the Reopening feature is enabled, you can make up the lost point in the education and empathy section by recreating the opportunity. To do this, first, ask the interview question again to the virtual patient. Then you can respond within two lines of dialogue with the correct educational or empathetic response to receive credit for the scored item
- Can I wait to provide all of my educational and empathetic statements at the end of the interview?
- No, you must respond to the virtual patient within two lines of dialogue to get credit for acknowledging the opportunity.