*Faculty account, needs TT input*
This lesson is designed to analyze communication for instances of therapeutic, patient-centered care. Peer evaluation helps the instructor facilitate contextualized feedback around the quality of students’ subjective data collection processes.
Optional technologies can be used for enhanced interaction.
- Face-to-face instruction: ~45 minutes
- Online instruction: assignment with rubric submission
- Student transcripts of completed patient interview
- Rubric and skills assessments for students to use
- Assign students a DCE patient exam.
- Pair up students who work well together to receive peer feedback.
- Instruct students to bring printed or electronic copies of their transcripts and/or send them to their partner.
- Distribute rubric and skills assessments.
- Use peer assessment for formative, in-depth feedback
- Use a rubric for evaluation to help quantify subjective feedback
- Use peer assessment to help students take responsibility for their learning, enhance communication, and engage more deeply with course material
- Feedback exercises should lead to opportunities for students to demonstrate growth
- Incorporate positive feedback when responding to students’ communications
- Use probing questions that prompt reflection; avoid insults or inflammatory judgments
- Peer Teaching among Nursing Students in the Clinical Area: Effects on Student Learning – Journal of Advanced Nursing
- Exploring Nursing Students’ Experience of Peer Learning in Clinical Practice– Journal of Education and Health Promotion
- The Role of Peer Assessment and Peer Review in Nursing– British Journal of Nursing
- Reducing Student Anxiety by using Clinical Peer Mentoring with Beginning Nursing Students– Nurse Educator
- Elicit patient values, preferences, and expressed needs as part of clinical interview, implementation of care plan, and evaluation of care
- Value seeing health care situations “through patients’ eyes”
- Willingly support patient-centered care for individuals and groups whose values differ from own
- Assess own level of communication skill in encounters with patients
Teamwork & Collaboration
- Describe impact of own communication style on others
- Value different styles of communication used by patients and health care providers
Our Instructional Design and Training Team is here to help! We collaborate with nursing instructors on pedagogically sound practice with the Digital Clinical Experience (DCE). We strive to assure lessons align with research-backed standards and quality education practices.