This lesson is designed to check in with your students after they interact with a digital standardized patient. You will get a clear sense of your students’ developing clinical communication skills.Digital Clinical Experience Debrief Teaching Template download (.docx)
- No technology required
- Face-to-face instruction: ~60 minutes
- Online instruction: Discussion Board/Forum
- List of debrief questions
- Paper and pen for notetaking (or preferred method, including an electronic device)
- Assign students a DCE patient exam.
- Instruct students to bring their transcripts to class on the lesson date (or have them electronically available).
- Personally review and refine a list of debrief questions.
- Determine the best discussion method for your students.
Our example discussion questions are based upon the 3D Model of Debriefing (Zigmont, Kappus, & Sukidoff, 2011). They are written for Tina Jones’s Health History assignment and can be modified for any patient case. You can find them in the downloadable Teaching Template above.
- Establish a safe classroom community to facilitate discussion.
- Prepare ahead for an effective discussion.
- Intentionally craft & sequence questions to cover multiple cognitive domains.
- Mix discussion question style to engage range of learning styles.
- Include a variety of low-stakes speaking opportunities for students as they learn to communicate with patients and other medical professionals with proficiency.
- Provide students with feedback on their discussion participation with rubrics for face-to-face or online students.
- INACSL Standards of Best Practice: Simulation Debriefing – International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning
- Debriefing Across the Curriculum – National League of Nursing
- The Use of Deliberative Discussion to Enhance the Critical Thinking Abilities of Nursing Students – Journal of Public Deliberation
- Coordination and integration of care
- Information, communication, and education
- Analyze strategies that empower patients in all aspects of the health care process
- Integrate principles of effective communication with knowledge of quality and safety competencies
- Describe process of reflective practice
Teamwork & Collaboration
- Analyze own strengths, limitations, and values
- Analyze differences in communication style preferences among patients
Our Instructional Design and Training team is here to help! We collaborate with nursing instructors on pedagogically sound practice with the Digital Clinical Experience (DCE). We strive to ensure assignments align with research-backed standards and quality education practices.