This lesson uses student achievement data to analyze progress toward competency in clinical assessment. By using Class Statistics, instructors can target specific skills and guide students to set goals for individual growth.
Optional technologies can be used for enhanced interaction.
- Face-to-face instruction: ~20 minutes
- Online instruction: extension activity within learning module
- Graphs that show relevant Class Stats
- Appropriate technology for sharing graphs (projector/handouts/LMS)
- For students, paper and pen for reflection (or preferred method, including an electronic device)
- Assign students a DCE patient exam.
- Calculate Class Stats for the assignment. See this video for instructions.
- Decide which statistics to share with students.
- Prepare the data to share.
- Commit to ethical use of student data generated by a third-party vendor
- Provide feedback on performance that is targeted, specific, and timely
- Encourage reflection about cognitive processes with positive feedback
- Use student data to provide unbiased, constructive feedback which allows for growth
- Invite students to chart their progress and reflect on their learning process
- Guide students to set personal growth goals using an established framework, such as SMART
- Develop a group understanding of nursing competency and its related objectives
- A Framework for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating: Simulations Used as Teaching Strategies in Nursing– Nursing Education Perspectives
- Applications of Student Data in Higher Education– Ithaka S+R
- Development and Preliminary Testing of a Self-Rating Instrument to Measure Self-Directed Learning Ability of Nursing Students– International Journal of Nursing Studies
- Discuss principles of effective communication
- Assess own level of communication skills in encounters with patients
- Value continuous improvement of own communication
Teamwork & Collaboration
- Demonstrate commitment to team goals
- Analyze own strengths, limitations, and values
- Appreciate that continuous quality improvement is an essential part of the daily work of all health professionals
- Value measurement and its role in good patient care
Our Instructional Design and Training Team is here to help! We collaborate with nursing instructors on pedagogically sound practice with the Digital Clinical Experience (DCE). We strive to assure lessons align with research-backed standards and quality education practices.